Arlo in the News
Arlo Hemphill addresses the Sixth Session of the Open-ended Informal Consultative Process on Oceans and the Law of the Sea (UNICPOLOS) United Nations Headquarters, New York | 6-10 June 2005
- Bean, Elaine. “In Worcester, Robocalls Muddy Septic Bill Issue”. Worcester County Times. November 30, 2012. Hemphill quoted in support of SB 236, the Maryland Septic Bill that aims to lower sewage-based pollution into the bays.
- Cox, Jeremy. “O’Malley, Harris Set to Tour OC Beaches”, The Daily Times. October 31, 2012. Arlo Hemphill mentioned in reference to family business and quoted on Hurricane Sandy.
- Abdill, Rich. “Rosie O’Donnell Being Blamed for Extinction of Sharks”. Riptide 2.0: The Miami New Times Blog. January 11, 2012. Arlo Hemphill’s tweets quoted for sarcastic remarks on how to address Rosie O’Donnell’s fishing of hammerhead sharks in Florida.
- Rollin, A.G. 2007. Boynton science teacher sails on two-week NOAA learning voyage. Sun-Sentinal. September 9, 2007. Mentioned as influence to science teacher, Elizabeth Eubanks.
- Leahey, S. 2006. Environment: Trawling Moratorium Dead in the Water. IPS News. November 23, 2006. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling. Also picked up by Mail and Guardian, Cosmicfantasia, Vale Verde and the Online Pioneer and Ideals – World News
- Cincotta, H. 2006. Water Partnerships: White Water to Blue Ocean. Sustainable Development Partnerships. November 29, 2006. Referenced and quoted on sea turtles as flagships in the Caribbean.
- Barret, K. 2006. U.S. Supports Cessation of Destructive Fishing Practices: United Nations Considering Interim Moratorium on Bottom Trawling. Frontlines (Conservation International‘s magazine) October 4, 2007.Quoted on need for a moratorium on high seas bottom trawling.
- Alumni News. Summer 2006. Hemphill Champions Conservation Efforts to United Nations. Current: A Publication of Palm Beach Atlantic University XVI(2): 20-21.
- Reef Explorers Network. June 2006. New IUCN PARKS Magazine Makes the Case for High Seas. Dive News. Quoted on importance of High Seas conservation.
- Associated Press. 2006. Kiribati Designates Huge Swath of Pacific as Protected Area. Fox News. Thursday, March 30, 2006. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling. Also in MSNBC, USA Today, Avar Cup, Agris, Aktuálně.cz , Leto, Gurman and the Taipei Times.
- Verzamelgids. 2006. EU pleit voor moratorium op sleepnetvisserij. Verzamelgids. March 29, 2006. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling.
- Astor, M. 2006. Pacific nation announces marine area. Environmental News and Agriculture News. Associated Press. March 28, 2006. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling. Also in Boston.com.
- IPS/GIN. 2004. U.N. Urged to Protect Imperiled Deep-Sea Species. The Online Pioneer and Ideals – World News. June 8, 2004. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling and need for moratorium.
- WWF. 2004. Conservation coalition seeks UN resolution to halt destruction of deep-sea biodiversity. WWF News, June 7 2004. Quoted on impacts of bottom trawling and need for moratorium.
- Mast, R. 2004. Meeting Reports: The 24th Annual Sea Turtle Symposium: Largest Ever Gathering of Sea Turtle Biologists, Conservationists and Enthusiasts (San Jose, Costa Rica – February 23-27, 2004). Marine Turtle Newsletter, April 2004(104): 15-19. Acknowledged for assisting with events at 24th Sea Turtle Symposium
- NSUOC. 2004. People on the Move. Currents, Spring 2004 XVIII(2): 3-5. Discusses involvement at the 24th Annual Sea Turtle Symposium held in San Jose, Costa Rica, from February 22–29, 2004. Includes photo.
- D’Ambrosio, D. 1999. Science by satellite e-mail. Satellite Communications, March. Covers satellite communication work done on the AquaRAP Pantanal expedition – September 1998.